Oatmeal cookies are fun to make, but one with peanuts, vanilla and coconut makes it even better. I knew I wanted a ‘healthy’ tasting cookie, or at least one that doesn’t fill me with guilt when I eat it 😉 These cookies fit the bill perfectly and it was easy to make. It’s even better the second day because the coconut sets in.
makes about 50 cookies.
adapted from 100 best cookies magazine page 6.
3/4 cup of margarine
2 cups packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vanilla
1 1/2 cups flour
2 cups rolled oats
1 cup plain peanuts (original had dry-roasted)
(original had 1/2 cup raisins)
1/2 cup flaked coconut
1. Preheat oven 375 degrees
2. Large bowl beat margarine with electrical mixer at high speed for 30seconds.
3. Add brown sugar, baking soda and salt.
4. Beat until combined, scrape bowl when needed. Mix in add eggs and vanilla. Add flour.
5. With spatula or wooden spoon, stir in oats, peanuts (raisins if you have) and coconut.
6. Drop dough by rounded teaspoons 2 inches apart on ungreased cookie sheet.
7. Bake in oven for 7-9 min, until edges are lightly browned.
8. Cool cookies on sheet for 2 minutes then transfer to wire rack to cool.
9. To store, place in between wax sheets in an air tight container, at room temperature for 3 days. Or freeze up to 3 months.