This is a fun cookie to make, but I realize that cookie making is a lot more time consuming, but its still fun.
I’ve modified the recipe from my book ‘500 Cookies Biscuits & Bakes by Catherine Atkinson’.
Makes 32 mini cookies
1 cup almonds (with skins)
1 1/2 cup flour
3/4 earth balance soy butter
1/2 cup of sugar
1/2 rind of lemon
1 tsp of vanilla
1 egg white
pinch of salt
1/3 cup slices almonds, crushed slightly
1/2 tbsp lemon juice
1. Preheat oven to 325, place parchment paper on two baking sheets
2. Grind almonds and 3 tbsp of flour
3. Mix butter and sugar until fluffy. Stir in lemon rind and vanilla.
3. Add almond mix and flour to make dough, form into ball. Place in plastic bag and put in fridge for 45min to an hour.
4. Prepare jam mixture by adding lemon juice and jam together in a bowl and mix.
Two ways of preparing cookies:
Thumbprint – prepare dough into 1/2 tbsp balls. Add a small dimple in the middle of the ball and scope in jam and place on prepared cookie sheet. Bake for 17min.
Sandwhich – prepare dough into 1/2 tbsp balls. Half of batter, flatten by hand to prepare the bottom of the sandwhich and place on prepared cookie sheet. The other half (top), flatten by hand and make small hole in the middle and place on prepared cookie sheet. To top of sandwich, place egg wash and place almond crumbs.