I thought it would be a challenge to find the right recipe for my first cookie exchange (It was an honour being part of the Cookie Exchange http://www.fbcookieswap.com/ and can’t wait for next year)… and then I remembered I have a recipe book from my friend. I flipped through it and found a perfect holiday cookie. As always, I modified it a bit and surely found a keeper. I’m even thinking of doing all my holiday baking vegan this year 😉
(Adapted from Vegan Cookies by Isa Chandra Moskowitz & Terry Hope Romero, Cherry Almond Cookies Pg. 63)
Makes 2 dozen cookies
⅓ cup vegetable oil
⅓ cup sugar
⅓ cup brown sugar
3 tbsp. soy milk
2 tsp. ground flax seeds
1 tsp. vanilla extract
½ tsp. almond extract
1 cup all-purpose flour
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. salt
¾ cup slivered almonds (100g)
¾ cup dried cranberries
1. Preheat oven 350 degrees F. Prepare two baking sheets
2. Large bowl, add oil, sugars, non-dairy milk, grounded flax seeds and extracts… mix ‘vigorously’ with a fork.
3. Sift flour, baking soda, and salt. Mix until everything is combined, then add almonds and cranberries.
4. Drop cookies on sheet. About a tablespoon worth and keep they typical 2 inches apart. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes until edges begin to brown.
5. Let the cookie rest a bit on the sheet, then transfer to wire racks to complete cooling.