Like all my recipes on my blog, I only post the ones that I use over and over again… and this Chocolate Cake recipe is one of my best. This recipe can be made many ways: 12 or so Cupcakes, 36 mini cupcakes & 1 9inch cake, or 2 9inch cakes. One key to this is the cocoa, I didn’t realize the quality of the ingredients really make a difference. I use pure cocoa from Soma… soooo goood!
Taken from Better Homes and Gardens Cupcakes book
3/4 cup earth balance (or butter as the original called for)
2 cups all-purpose flour
3/4 cup of cocoa powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
3/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon of salt
2 cups sugar
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 1/2 cups soy milk (originally called for milk)
1. Place butter and eggs aside in room temperature for 30min.
2. Pre-heat oven at 350 and prepare cupcakes or cake pan (remember to spray generously, including the sides, so it won’t stick)
3. In medium bowl, mix dry ingredients with a wisk: flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, baking powder and salt.
4. In a mixer beat butter for 30 seconds, gradually add sugar and scrape at the sides. Add eggs one at a time and beat for about 2 min until light and fluffy. Beat in Vanilla.
5. Add flour mixture and beat, add a bit of milk and beat and alternate till done.
6. Add mixture to prepared pans. For cupcakes, fill till 3/4 full and if you can the best way is with a piping bag. I never tried it before and once I started, it’s so much easier!
7. Place in oven for the following times: Cupcakes – 18min, Mini Cupcakes – 15min, or 9inch cakes at 45min. Keep checking regularly and test with a toothpick till ready.
This is really my go-to chocolate cake/cupcake recipe and has become the foundation of many yummy recipes. I’ve made great parfaits with this with layers of cake, cool whip and fruit, soo great. I’ve also made oreo cookie cupcakes by adding an oreo cookie at the bottom of the cupcake and in the icing, and I even made a vanilla and chocolate layer cake… so get creative and have fun!