Yay! My first very own recipe. One night for dinner my husband made a Porkchops with an amazing blueberry compote for dinner. We had some of the blueberry compote left over and I modified it to make berry tarts. A few more attempts and tweaks and we have our very own Berry Tarts. What I love about this one is that it can be any berries combination and fun every time. It’s become my token “what do I do with all these berries” recipe 😉
Makes 12 mini tarts
1 1/2 cup mixed fresh berries (these photo’s below have Raspberries, Blackberry’s and Strawberries)
1/3 cup lemon juice
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp vanilla
2 tbsp cornstarch
3 tbsp sugar
Store bought mini tart shells
1. Prepare Tart Shells as per instructions on the box
2. At Med/High heat, place a small sauce pan with all the ingredients together. It takes about 10min or so to really get it at a jam consistency. Keep your eye on it and keep stirring it. When the berries get a bit hot you can start crushing them, it’s totally up to you. Keep stirring and it’ll get thicker and once it starts to boil, let it boil for about 2min… next, turn the heat to simmer for another minute. Then take off heat to let it cool. You’ll find that it gets thicker as it cools. I usually wait about 15min to let it cool.
3. Once the Tarts are ready, let them cool fully on a rack.
4. Fill Tarts with the jam and let it cool. Place tarts in a plastic container and store in Fridge for a few hours to overnight. It’s usually better the next day!
5. And that’s it! Easy Berry Tarts.
So simple, fun to make and each time you make it, it’s something different. Try out new combinations and I’m sure you’ll find your favourite!