When Christmas time comes along, I always spend the first few weeks of December flipping out figuring out what to bake. And, I think I found one that’s a keeper. When I first saw it, I didn’t expect a real Gingerbread cookie, annnnnnd it’s vegan! Not a lot of sugar, and easy to bake!!!
Gingerbread cut-out cookies
34 cookies (about 2 inchs)
p.226 from Vegan Cookies Invade Your Cookie Jar
1/3 cup olive oil (original had canola oil)
3/4 cup sugar (I used coconut sugar)
1/4 cup molasses
1/4 cup almond milk (original had plain soy milk)
2 cups whole wheat flour
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon each ground nutmeg, cloves, and cinnamon
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger
Easy Vegan Icing
2 cups of powdered sugar sifted into a bowl
1 tablespoon of melted butter (I used earth balance)
1 tablespoon of almond milk (or 2 tablespoons)
Mix all in a blender and make sure its not too thick
1. Large bowl mix oil and sugar. Add molasses and almond milk and blend.
2. Sift in all ingredients and mix until stiff dough is formed. Take out and make into a ball… and place in plastic wrap. Place in fridge for at least an hour (and even up to 3 days). You can let it sit to 10min to warm up. I think this is key, I did it straight from the fridge and got a few wrinkles.
3. Preheat oven to 350 and fix up to baking sheets with parchment paper.
4. Roll out dough to about 1/4 inch. Cut into shapes.
5. Bake for 8 min, let it cool for 2 min. and set on wire rack cool completely.
6. Once cool, decorate with the easy icing.