One of the reasons why I started this blog was to capture my recipes so I won’t lose them… and of course, when I wanted to make these muffins for the third time, it took my forever to find the recipe and I thought I lost it! So here it is, my go-to-muffins. Here’s the original recipe, I experimented a bit more with adding more cinnamon, nuts on top and lowering the sugar, and it works out brilliantly. I’ll certainly be making this very often! It’s a perfect snack and even warmed up, it makes a perfect breakfast muffin!
Vegan sweet potato banana oatmeal muffins
Makes a dozen
Preheat the oven to 400 degrees
1 cup old-fashioned oats
1 cup whole-wheat flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
½ teaspoon baking soda
1½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
1 cup cooked and mashed sweet potato
1/2 cup coconut sugar
1/3 cup coconut oil, (if it’s hardend, just place in microwave for 30sec)
¼ cup almond milk
1 banana, mashed
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Dash of salt
1. Boil sweet potato, smash when ready.
2. In a large bowl, combine, flour, oats, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, flax seed and salt.
3. In another bowl, mix sweet potato, mashed bananas. Next add sugar, coconut oil, milk vanilla extract.
4. Combine sweet potato mixture into the flour mixture. Mix till its all incorporated. You can also incorporate 1/2 cup of any nuts. I used walnuts once and it turned out great!
5. Add into prepared muffin tins, top muffins with nuts, coconut, anything, be creative.
6. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until lightly browned.