Since I went vegan, one of my favourite things to do is to take an old favourite recipe and “Veganize” it. I finally made my carrot muffin recipe work! I found that when you use egg replacer, you’ll need to add water… it’s not as moist as it would be with regular egg. At first, just eye-ball it till the constancy is what you remember it being. Trail and error, best way to learn 😉 Hope you enjoy this re-vitalized recipe! It’ll certainly be one of my staples 🙂
Vegan Pecan Carrot Cupcakes
1 1/2 cup shredded carrots
1/2 cup white flour
1/2 cup whole wheat flour
1/2 tsp baking soda
3/4 tsp baking powder
1 tsp cinnamon
1/4 tsp salt
2 eggs worth of egg replacer (I use Red Mill)
1/2 cup sugar
1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
1/2 cup of pecans (or walnuts would do)
1/4 cup of water (the egg replacer makes it rather dry)
Pre-heat oven to 350degrees + Line muffin tray
1. Mix dry ingredients in a big bowl with a whisk
2. In a separate bowl with a mixer, egg replacer and sugar. Stream in oil and blend. Add water.
3. Whisk dry mixture into big bowl and combine.
4. Fold in carrots and pecans and combine until smooth.
5. Pour batter into prepared muffin tray at the muffins being 2/3 full. In an empty space on your tray, fill it with water, it’ll prevent the cupcake lining to not buckle and stay crisp.
6. Bake for 18-20 min. Half way through the time, you can rotate the muffin trays. Tooth pick test it.
7. Take out of tray to cool completely on a wire rack.